zondag 28 juni 2009

Michael Jackson

I do not know if Michael Jackson was a victim or a villain. I suspect that he was a simple person who could not deal with his talent and his fame, a child who never grew into a man, and whose relationship with children was simply one of children at play. Too foolish to judge the danger that misinterpretation of his perhaps innocent behaviour might invoke, ignorant of his power over young people and too isolated from reality by his wealth to care. Perhaps. When a pretty girl at the Nova College puts an arm around my shoulder while I am solving her computer problems, I am scared that another adult might see, form an opinion, and report. In these cases I explain diplomatically, but firmly to the student that this is not proper and that there must be a relationship between us that is friendly but not familiar, for both our sakes.
I do not know if Michael Jackson was a monstrous pervert. If he was, then, as Jesus says, 'It would be better for him had he never been born'. If he was not, then half the world owes him an apology.

I loved his earlier music. 'Thriller' is a masterpiece. As a person, I did not like him at all; there was always something, at best wierd, at worst creepy about him. This drawing by a Dutch cartoonist in the 'Volkskrant' ('Peoples Paper') may be totally unfair in its implied accusation, but is devastating in its effect. A picture is 'worth a thousand words'. This one encapsulates volumes in a simple sketch. Without judging Michael Jackson, I simply show the power of a good cartoon.

This one is dynamite.

Geen opmerkingen: