vrijdag 18 september 2009

A concert in the park

We don't get out much these days in the weekends. I am using the good weather to paint the house and in the weekend Bernadet does all those things that men are not good at. Washing, ironing, cleaning, gardening, book-keeping, tax and insurance forms etc. I do occasionally clean the toilets and the bath. I am at home for three days in the week while my poor wife is slaving away at one or another seminar. It is difficult to find time for household chores as much is lost having a morning bath, joining compulsory coffee circles and generally thinking about the question of where all the time goes. And there is golf on Wednesdays which I would not miss for the world. In order to look as if you have done something, try putting all the chairs on the tables and roll up the rugs. A quick trip over with vacuum cleaner and a wet swiffer gives the impression of a total house cleaning. When the wife appears, spring up from the sofa, turn off the TV and start putting chairs back on the floor. Sorry, my love, I had hoped to have it all finished, but the day is short. Mirrors are a good bet, along with sinks. If the mirrors and sinks are shiny, there will be few questions, just compliments.

I digress. In the park in Alkmaar there are free concerts on Sundays.

This time an Irish Music fest. Having just seen the departure of the God halpin, I was not looking forward to a dutch band playing 'Dere's whiskey in der jar!', but I was actually quite impressed with all of them. In particular the fantastic 'Garlic' with two ladies with beautiful voices. Sisters in fact, who harmonised like the McGariggles. Truly great music and talent, and we shall certainly chase them down for another great gig.


There was also some Irish dancing.

I have never been a great fan of watching loads of girls kicking and goose-stepping with hands held rigidly at the sides. I mean, what is the point of the restriction? Kieran says that his country is ashamed of only three things: namely Chris de Burgh, the Dubliners and Riverdance. Nevertheless, many do enjoy it and the girls were certainly enthousiastic and athletic. Only there were lots of pauses while they all changed shoes. When they came back on, I failed to detect a change in the sound or the rhythm. I suggest a switch between flip-flops and waders may have had more impact.

A great afternoon, so well done all.

I add that I am a fan of Dockside, a Dutch band doing English language folk. We had them at our wedding and I hereby mollify any implied critiscism of the Dutch playing English/irish/American folk music. Dockside are wonderful.

Geen opmerkingen: